Risotto is my choice for a holiday celebration because it is so delicious, comforting, and feels kinda fancy but really is actually quite simple to prepare. Risotto can be a side dish or a meal unto itself. You can add saffron for Risotto Milanese or sauteed mushrooms or really take it up a notch with lobster! The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
Here are basic instructions that will get you started, and then you can customize to include your favorite additions:
- The ratio of stock to rice for 4-6 servings is 6-7 cups of stock (any kind usually vegetable or chicken)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine to 1 1/2 cups of arborio rice(short-grained, Italian rice).
- Enough extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) to cover the bottom of a wide saute pan (~ 3 Tbs)
- Some sort of aromatic like onion, garlic, or shallot (or all three)
- Some fresh, chopped herbs like parsley, chives, or basil (or all three)
Heat the large saute pan with medium-high heat, put in EVOO, and saute aromatic of choice for 1-2 minutes then add rice and toss to heat and coat in oil.
Add dry white wine and stir quickly until evaporated.
Once evaporated, add the hot stock a few ladlefuls at a time and stir until absorbed. Continue this process until most or all of the stock has been absorbed into the rice. This process usually takes 25-30 mins.
MK Tip: The process of stirring is what creates the creaminess of the dish and should be done lovingly. For me, it’s kinda Zen and relaxing. As you stir, maybe enjoy a glass of the dry white wine, if that is your pleasure, and chat with the people you are cooking with.